Why is protein important?
- Protein helps you feels full, which fights off feelings of hunger for longer.
- Your body uses protein to build and repair muscle and tissues.
- Proteins function as building blocks for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
- Proteins provide the calories you need and help the body release energy.
Tips on choosing leaner meat:
The leanest pork choices include pork loin, tenderloin, center loin, and ham.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts and turkey cutlets are the leanest poultry choices.
Choose lean turkey, roast beef, ham, or low-fat luncheon meats for sandwiches instead of luncheon/deli meats with more fat, such as regular bologna or salami.
How to reduce calories when eating meat:
- Trim away all of the visible fat from meats and poultry before cooking.
- Broil, grill, roast, poach, or boil meat or poultry, instead of frying.
- Drain off any fat that appears during cooking.
- Skip or limit the breading. It adds calories and causes the food to soak up more fat during frying.